18. 09. 12. - 12:45
Overhead cable kills drunken student
A 26-year-old Ukrainian student was burned to death after drinking heavily and then climbing on top of a goods train at Innsbruck station where he was electrocuted by an overhead power cable.
The man was with a pal from Poland when they decided to take a short cut across the train yard, and the Ukrainian student had decided to climb over rather than go round a wagon - despite a warning from his friend.
When he reached the top he was zapped with 15,000 volts of electricity and a short while later his body burst into flames.
Firemen were called after locals reported that a wagon was on fire but in reality it was the burning body of the student.
By the time rail workers had managed to shut off the power he had been completely carbonised.
Police said the pair had been studying in Vienna nad had gone to Innsbruck for a short holiday.